STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1070-18
RE: H.B. No. 2578
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 2578, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring a physician assistant to furnish proof of completion of continuing education as required by the Hawaii Medical Board (Board) prior to each license renewal; and
(2) Prohibiting the Board from requiring certification from the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants as a condition of licensure renewal.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting language requiring a physician assistant to furnish proof of completion of continuing education as required by the Board and prohibiting the Board from requiring certification as a condition of license renewal;
(2) Specifying continuing education requirements of forty credit hours of specified continuing medical education as a condition of bi-annual license renewal;
(3) Authorizing the Board to conduct random document audits of licensed physician assistants to determine compliance with the continuing education requirements;
(4) Requiring a licensed physician assistant to verify compliance within 60 days of receiving notice of a random audit; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2578, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2578, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair