STAND. COM. REP. NO. 209-18
RE: H.B. No. 2346
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Intrastate Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 2346 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THIRD PARTY ADMINISTRATORS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Promoting the financial responsibility of third party administrators;
(2) Regulating the professional practices of third party administrators; and
(3) Establishing the qualifications and procedures for the licensing of third party administrators.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the confidentiality and privilege protections of the documents, materials, and other information in the possession or control of the Insurance Commissioner that were furnished by the third party administrator, payor, insurance producer, or an employee or agent thereof;
(2) Expanding the types of insurance handled by third party administrators to include annuity, stop-loss, and workers' compensation insurance;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 3000, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Intrastate Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2346, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2346, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Intrastate Commerce,
TAKASHI OHNO, Chair