STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3524
RE: H.B. No. 2274
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2274, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to increase the availability of electric vehicle supply equipment in the State.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires that certain parking facilities built after 2016 provide electric vehicle supply equipment in one parking space per one hundred parking spaces, with the number of required electric vehicle supply equipped parking spaces increasing to two parking spaces by July 1, 2021, and then to three by July 1, 2024;
(2) In the context of electric vehicle parking requirements, changes the term "electric vehicle charging system" to "electric vehicle supply equipment";
(3) Authorizes the Director of Transportation to fine properties that are not in compliance with the electric vehicle parking requirements;
(4) Establishes a working group to address the installation of electric vehicle supply equipment and the feasibility of increasing the number of charging stations at Aloha Stadium; and
(5) Requires the working group to submit a report to the Legislature.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from Ulupono Initiative, Organizing for Action, the Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai`i, and one concerned individual.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Building Owners and Managers Association of Hawaii, and Hawaii Credit Union League.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Legislative Reference Bureau; and Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu.
Your Committee finds that the increasing number of electric vehicles in the State necessitates parking facilities that are equipped with charging stations.
Your Committee has amended this measure by making technical nonsubstantive changes for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2274, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2274, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair