STAND. COM. REP. NO. 349-18
RE: H.B. No. 2239
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Public Safety, to which was referred H.B. No. 2239 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TAXATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the definition of "qualified expenses" to include other necessary emergency supplies;
(2) Clarifying that the income tax credit be equal to an unspecified percentage of the taxpayer's qualified expenses up to a maximum of $1,000;
(3) Clarifying that each taxpayer may claim the income tax credit only once before January 1, 2026;
(4) Clarifying that the income tax credit be applicable to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2018; and
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Public Safety that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2239, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2239, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Public Safety,
GREGG TAKAYAMA, Chair