STAND. COM. REP. NO. 341-18
RE: H.B. No. 2154
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health & Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 2154 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HUMAN SERVICES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorizing healthcare providers, non-profits, businesses, and faith based organizations to provide Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program applications to prospective applicants; and
(2) Requiring those providers and organizations that provide applications to prospective applicants to maintain records of the distribution of the applications and to make those records available to the Department of Human Services upon request.
The Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii testified in support of this measure. The Department of Human Services testified in support of the intent of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Allowing, rather than requiring, providers and organizations that provide applications to prospective applicants to maintain records and make those records available to the Department of Human Services;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 3000, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health & Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2154, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2154, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health & Human Services,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair