STAND. COM. REP. NO. 452-18
RE: H.B. No. 2137
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 2137 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EQUAL PAY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Prohibiting prospective employers from requesting or considering an applicant's salary history in the application process; and
(2) Prohibiting retaliation or discrimination against employees who disclose, discuss, or inquire about their own or coworker's wages.
The Hawaii Civil Rights Commission; a Maui County Council Member; Americans for Democratic Action; United Public Workers, AFSCME, Local 646, AFL-CIO; Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest and Hawaii; YWCA O‘ahu; Community Alliance on Prisons; AAUW of Hawaii; Hawaii State Democratic Women's Caucus; Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice; Hawaii State Coalition Against Domestic Violence; Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Hawaii State AFL-CIO; International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 142; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1260; Hawaii Women's Coalition; Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies; and numerous concerned individuals supported this measure. The Chamber of Commerce Hawaii and Quicksilver Charters opposed this measure. Hawaii Food Industry Association provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the definition of "inquire" to include verbal communication;
(2) Changing the effective date to January 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2137, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2137, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair