STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3423
RE: H.B. No. 2060
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 2060, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO BOARDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Remove the word "Examiners" from the State Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Board of Dental Examiners, Board of Examiners in Optometry, and Board of Veterinary Examiners; and
(2) Rename these boards with titles that more accurately reflect their scope and duties.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Hawaii Dental Hygienists' Association and a petition with ninety-seven names. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Board of Dental Examiners. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Professional and Vocational Licensing Division of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Your Committee finds that several regulatory boards in Hawaii have the word "Examiners" in their names, although the boards no longer administer examinations. Accordingly, this measure removes the word "Examiner" from the State Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Board of Dental Examiners, Board of Examiners in Optometry, and Board of Veterinary Examiners, and renames these boards with titles that accurately reflect each board's respective scope and duties.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Renaming the Board of Dental Examiners as the Board of Dentistry and Oral Hygiene, rather than the Board of Dentistry and Dental Hygienists;
(2) Ensuring consistency by specifying that any other measures passed during the Regular Session of 2018 shall be amended to conform to this measure, unless the other measures specifically amend this measure;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2018; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2060, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2060, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be placed on the calendar for Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Health,
ROSALYN H. BAKER, Chair