STAND. COM. REP. NO. 470-18
RE: H.B. No. 2053
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 2053 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COLLECTIVE BARGAINING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Hawaii Labor Relations Board to deliver its orders and decisions by hand, United States Postal Service mail using a delivery confirmation, or electronically;
(2) Extending the time for the Hawaii Labor Relations Board to hold a hearing on a complaint from forty to ninety days;
(3) Repealing the requirement for the State to pay for witness fees and to conduct an audit for witnesses who appear before the Hawaii Labor Relations Board by subpoena; and
(4) Establishing a Collective Bargaining Dispute Resolution Special Fund.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate further on this measure, your Committee respectfully requests that it consider the Hawaii Labor Relations Board's suggestion to extend the time for the Hawaii Labor Relations Board to hold a hearing on a complaint from forty to ninety days.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Extending the time for the Hawaii Labor Relations Board to hold a hearing on a complaint from forty to an unspecified number of days; and
(2) Changing the effective date to January 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2053, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2053, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair