STAND. COM. REP. NO. 698-18
RE: H.B. No. 2025
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2025 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RESOURCE RECOVERY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to further the State's commitments to reducing waste, providing opportunities for agricultural education, increasing local food production, and promoting natural resource management in public schools by:
(1) Requiring the Department of Education to issue composting pilot project grants to Department schools and establish the Composting Grant Pilot Project Working Group that will provide implementation and operational oversight, guidelines, and support; make recommendations for composting pilot projects in public schools; and report annually to the Legislature; and
(2) Appropriating funds to the Department of Education for the Composting Grant Pilot Project.
The University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Department of Education, Ulupono Initiative, Surfrider Foundation Oahu Chapter, Windward Zero Waste Schools, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and a few concerned individuals supported this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Authorizing, rather than requiring, the Department of Education to issue Composting Pilot Project grants to Department schools and authorizing the establishment of the Composting Grant Pilot Project Working Group;
(2) Adding the Hawaii Farm Bureau to the membership of the Composting Grant Pilot Project Working Group; and
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2025, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2025, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair