STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2946
RE: H.B. No. 1969
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture and Environment, to which was referred H.B. No. 1969, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FOOD SUSTAINABILITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to require the Department of Agriculture, in coordination with the Office of Planning, to prepare and periodically update a functional plan for seafood sustainability that expands the State's priority on food by including wild seafood as a viable food source.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Hawaii Fishermen's Alliance for Conservation and Tradition, Inc.; O‘ahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai‘i; and three individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Agriculture, Office of Planning, and Department of Land and Natural Resources.
Your Committee finds that increased local food production is a top priority of the State to achieve the state goal of sustainability. As an island state, wild seafood is a staple of the diets of residents and visitors and therefore should be considered in food sustainability plans. Your Committee supports all efforts that encourage increased local food production in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Replacing references to a "functional plan for seafood sustainability" with a "seafood management study";
(2) Directing the Department of Agriculture to coordinate with the Department of Land and Natural Resources, in addition to the Office of Planning;
(3) Inserting a blank appropriation amount for fiscal year 2018-2019 for the Department of Agriculture, in coordination with the Office of Planning and Department of Land and Natural Resources, to prepare and periodically update the seafood management study;
(4) Inserting an effective date of July 1, 2018; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture and Environment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1969, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1969, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture and Environment,
MIKE GABBARD, Chair