STAND. COM. REP. NO. 275
RE: H.B. No. 169
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 169 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOMELESSNESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish a working group within the Department of Human Services (DHS) to solicit donations and services and assist in the development and regulation of policies for the Next Step Shelter facility and its residents;
(2) Require the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) to negotiate and execute a long-term lease with a qualified entity for real property that contains the Next Step Shelter facility; and
(3) Appropriate funds for the working group.
The Hawaii Public Housing Authority, Hawaii Kai Homeless Task Force, and two individuals testified in support of this measure. DHS, Department of the Attorney General, OHA Committee on Beneficiary Advocacy and Empowerment, and the Office of Information Practices commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the provision requiring OHA to secure a long-term lease with a qualified entity for real property that contains the Next Step Shelter facility;
(2) Removing the Chairperson of the OHA Board of Trustees from the working group;
(3) Removing the provision requiring the working group to regularly hold meetings without regard to Chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes, the Public Agency Meetings and Records Law;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2075, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 169, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 169, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services,
DEE MORIKAWA, Chair