STAND. COM. REP. NO. 284-18
RE: H.B. No. 1598
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Economic Development & Business, to which was referred H.B. No. 1598 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE SPACE INDUSTRY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to promote the space industry in Hawaii by creating the Multinational Lunar Architecture Alliance within the Office of Aerospace Development of the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism to:
(1) Provide recommendations and guidance for the development of an evolvable lunar architecture on the Island of Hawaii; and
(2) Plan, organize, and host an international lunar development summit.
The Oahu County Committee Legislative Priorities Committee of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Maui Economic Development Board, Inc., Aerospace States Association, Kelso Aerospace, and several concerned individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism testified in opposition to this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing references to the Multinational Lunar Architecture Alliance to the International Moon Base Alliance to reflect the proper name of the Alliance;
(2) Deleting language requiring the Alliance to plan, organize, and host an international lunar development summit;
(3) Inserting language requiring the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism to submit an interim and final report on the progress of the development of an evolvable lunar architecture on the Island of Hawaii prior to the regular sessions of 2019 and 2020;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2112, to facilitate further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Economic Development & Business that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1598, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1598, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Economic Development & Business,
CINDY EVANS, Chair