STAND. COM. REP. NO. 399
RE: H.B. No. 1381
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 1381 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELEVATOR MECHANICS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requirements for apprentice elevator mechanics;
(2) Licensing requirements for elevator mechanics; and
(3) Powers and duties of the Elevator Mechanics Licensing Board.
The International Union of Elevator Constructors, Local 126 and one individual testified in support of this measure. The Department of Labor and Industrial Relations supported the intent of this measure. The Elevator Mechanics Licensing Board provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1381, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1381, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair