STAND. COM. REP. NO. 489
RE: H.B. No. 1320
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 1320 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require accredited and unaccredited post-secondary educational institutions that are for-profit entities to disclose in print, electronic media, and signage that they are for-profit businesses registered in Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending its purpose statement;
(2) Deleting the requirement that disclosure must be reasonably calculated to draw the attention of the reader and deleting the inclusion of the specific language of the disclosure from statutory provisions;
(3) Requiring that any promotional material of a for-profit or an unaccredited educational institution, in an advertisement published in a periodical by an unaffiliated person or entity shall disclose that the educational institution is a for profit-business or an unaccredited educational institution, respectively;
(4) Amending the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1320, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1320, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair