STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1014
RE: H.B. No. 1308
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1308, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the Auditor to conduct a study, including a cost analysis, on the necessity and feasibility of establishing an agency within the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs to provide general regulatory oversight of homeowners associations;
(2) Require the Auditor to submit a report to the Legislature prior to the Regular Session of 2018 on its findings, recommendations, and any proposed legislation; and
(3) Appropriate funds to the Auditor to conduct the study required by this measure.
Hui ‘Oia‘i‘o and three individuals supported this measure. Associa opposed this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1308, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1308, H.D. 3.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair