STAND. COM. REP. NO. 666
RE: H.B. No. 1294
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Housing, to which was referred H.B. No. 1294, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENERGY EFFICIENCY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The Hawaii Energy Program testified in support of this measure. The Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism opposed this measure. Blue Planet Foundation, Hawaiian Electric Company, Maui Electric Company, Hawaii Electric Light Company, and an individual provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Narrowing the scope of the task force responsibilities to making recommendations on building and energy codes and standards for commercial buildings;
(2) Repealing the task force in one year instead of in two years;
(3) Adding the Public Benefits Fee Administrator to the task force and having the task force include energy experts, nonprofit organizations, and others;
(4) Requiring the task force to submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the Legislature and the State Building Code Council by January 31, 2018, and clarifying report requirements;
(5) Exempting the task force from the requirements of Chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(6) Changing its effective date to take effect upon a date to be determined to facilitate further discussion; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1294, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Judiciary in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1294, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Housing,
TOM BROWER, Chair