STAND. COM. REP. NO. 585
RE: H.B. No. 1272
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Human Services and Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 1272 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO IMPROVING ACCESS TO PSYCHIATRIC CARE FOR MEDICAID PATIENTS,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to specify that coverage for telehealth under the State's Medicaid managed care and fee-for-service program includes psychiatric services provided through a coordinated care manager who is present in a primary health care provider's office through telehealth.
Three individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Human Services, Hawaii Medical Service Association, Hawaii Psychiatric Medical Association, Hawaii Psychological Association, and Mind & Body Works, Inc. provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying in the purpose section that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services recently released a Medicare fee schedule that includes Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System G Codes;
(2) Amending the specifications regarding required coverage of psychiatric services provided through telehealth;
(3) Providing definitions for "behavioral health care manager" and "psychiatric consultation services" as they relate to telehealth coverage under the State's managed care and fee-for-service program;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2075, to encourage continued discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Human Services and Health that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1272, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1272, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Human Services and Health,
DELLA AU BELATTI, Chair
DEE MORIKAWA, Chair