STAND. COM. REP. NO. 300
RE: H.B. No. 1232
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 1232 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RECORDS MANAGEMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Allowing student records to be digitized, computerized, or minified through the use of scanning equipment or any other similar digitization process, or microfilm or any other similar photographic process, as long as the method used creates an unalterable record;
(2) Clarifying that student records must be retained in the original or reproduced form for a minimum of 100 years following the student's transfer, graduation, or other separation from the Department of Education;
(3) Authorizing student records to be destroyed after the specified retention period or upon digitization, computerization, or minification, in a manner that preserves the confidentiality of the information in the record; and
(4) Authorizing the Department of Education to partner with the Hawaii Correctional Industries Program to engage in a three-year student records modernization pilot project and making an appropriation in an unspecified sum for this purpose.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2051, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1232, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1232, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair