STAND. COM. REP. NO. 402
RE: H.B. No. 1112
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 1112 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TEMPORARY DISABILITY INSURANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorizing the filing of an appeal at any Department of Labor and Industrial Relations office, statewide;
(2) Authorizing service of notice of hearing of an appeal within a specified timeframe through first class mail or electronic notice, or as a last resort, by posting on the Department's website;
(3) Providing for the conduct of hearings in any county statewide and for participation in person or through communications technology; and
(4) Authorizing the issuance of a decision in the event of default by a party.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1112, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1112, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair