STAND. COM. REP. NO. 347
RE: H.B. No. 1004
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 1004 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RAPID OHIA DEATH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to help respond to the potential catastrophic loss of Hawaii's native ohia forests by appropriating $3,655,000 for each year of fiscal biennium 2017-2019 to implement the Rapid Ohia Death Strategic Response Plan.
The University of Hawaii, Coordinating Group on Alien Pest Species, Hawaii Farm Bureau, The Nature Conservancy – Hawaii Program, Conservation Council for Hawaii, Life of the Land, Hawaii Cattlemen's Council, Ponoholo Ranch Limited, Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaiian Affairs Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaii Farmers Union United, Sierra Club of Hawaii, and numerous concerned individuals supported this measure. The Department of Agriculture and Department of Land and Natural Resources supported the intent of the measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the expending agency for the appropriation from the Department of Agriculture to the Department of Land and Natural Resources;
(2) Making the appropriation an unspecified sum; and
(3) Changing the effective date to July 31, 2150, to encourage further discussion.
Should your Committee on Finance choose to deliberate on this measure further, your Committee respectfully requests that it consider appropriating $3,655,000 for each year of fiscal biennium 2017-2019, to be allocated as follows:
(1) $2,390,000 for 21 full-time positions, five post-doctoral fellow positions, two technician positions, and two specialist positions; and
(2) $1,265,000 for supplies, equipment, and resources needed for research, threat response, response coordination, outreach, and cultural engagement.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1004, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1004, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture,
RICHARD P. CREAGAN, Chair