HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-NINTH LEGISLATURE, 2018
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO EMPLOYEE TRAINING.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Chapter 76, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding two new sections to part I to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:
"§76- Public employees training program; board; executive director. (a) There is established the public employees training program to be placed within the department of human resources development for administrative purposes.
(b) The public employees training program shall be governed by the board of the public employees training program. The board shall consist of the following members:
(1) The executive director of the public employees training program, who shall serve as the chair; provided that in matters involving the selection and appointment of an executive director, the executive director shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member and the member of the board appointed by the governor pursuant to paragraph (6) shall serve as the chair;
(2) The director of human resources development who shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member;
(3) The director of labor and industrial relations who shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member;
(4) The University of Hawaii system vice president of community colleges;
(5) One representative from each exclusive representative that represents state employees;
(6) One member appointed by the governor;
(7) One member appointed by the president of the senate; and
(8) One member appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
If a tie vote occurs, the vote of the chair shall count as two votes. The members of the board shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for travel and other necessary expenses in the performance of their official duties.
(c) The board shall develop a plan for the creation and development of training programs to improve and enhance state employees' understanding of their job duties. Programs shall be developed in the following order of priority:
(1) Orientation programs for new employees;
(2) Programs for entry-level employees and line supervisors;
(3) Programs for the professional development of current employees to assist employees in career advancement;
(4) Programs for the enhancement of workplace skills; and
(5) Other programs to assist in career advancement.
(d) The board of the public employees training program shall appoint an executive director of the public employees training program, who shall:
(1) Serve as the chief executive officer of the public employees training program;
(2) Be responsible for administering orientation and training programs for all state employees;
(3) Be a person who, by reason of education or extensive experience, is generally recognized as being professionally qualified in the administration of state employee training programs;
(4) Be familiar with the people and cultures of Hawaii;
(5) Serve without regard to chapter 76; and
(6) Select necessary additional staff pursuant to chapter 76, within available appropriations.
§76- Public employees training fund. (a) There is established within the state treasury the public employees training fund into which shall be deposited the following moneys:
(1) Beginning August 1, 2018, an amount equal to one per cent of the increase from the previous fiscal year of the general fund appropriations for collective bargaining cost items in the agreements negotiated with the exclusive bargaining representative of each collective bargaining unit;
(2) Appropriations by the legislature to the special fund; and
(3) Gifts, donations, and grants from public agencies and private persons.
All interest earned or accrued on moneys deposited in the fund shall become part of the fund. The fund shall be administered by the department of human resources development; provided that the department may contract with a public or private agency to provide the day-to-day management of the fund.
(b) Subject to legislative authorization, the executive director of the public employees training program may expend the moneys in the fund for the development and implementation of training programs for state employees."
SECTION 2. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on January 1, 2050.
Public Employee Training; Collective Bargaining
Establishes the Public Employees Training Program within the Department of Human Resources Development to provide training programs to improve and enhance state employees' understanding of their job duties. Allocates one percent of collective bargaining increases to the Public Employees Training Program. (HB2077 HD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.