STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2878
RE: S.B. No. 2879
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2879, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the Department of Education's information technology operations.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Office of Enterprise Technology Services, in conjunction with the Department of Education, to establish a working group to study the Department of Education's information technology infrastructure, operations, and services; and
(2) Establishes the membership and duties of the working group.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Enterprise Technology Services and OCC Legislative Priorities Committee, Democratic Party of Hawaii.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Education.
Your Committee finds that the Department of Education will benefit from working collaboratively within the executive branch and more closely with other departments and the Office of Enterprise Technology Services to maximize information technology resources, increase efficiency, reduce duplication, and improve overall accountability.
Your Committee recognizes that the position of "Chief Academic Officer", which this measure includes on the working group, does not appear to be an official position within the Department of Education. Your Committee notes that further discussion is needed to identify the appropriate official within the Department of Education to represent academic interests on the working group.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the representative of the Office of Enterprise Technology Services from the membership of the working group, as the Chief Information Officer will already be representing the office;
(2) Providing that the working group shall cease to exist on an unspecified date;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(4) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for the purposes of clarity and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2879, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2879, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair