STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2738
RE: S.B. No. 2801
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2801, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to enhance the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations' ability to enforce the State's labor laws.
Specifically, the measure:
(1) Creates the labor law enforcement special fund to finance the collection of penalties and fees for violations of labor law;
(2) Establishes two positions (an attorney and a legal assistant) in the Department of the Attorney General to represent the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations in collecting penalties for violations of law; and
(3) Appropriates moneys to effectuate the purposes of this measure.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from IMUAlliance and one individual.
Your Committee finds that it is necessary to provide for sufficient operating costs to collect fees for violations of labor law. The establishment of a special fund, and the hiring of an attorney and a legal assistant, will provide the needed resources and allow the State to more effectively collect penalties and enforce the State's labor laws.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation amounts to unspecified amounts; and
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2801, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2801, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair