STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1289-18
RE: S.B. No. 2801
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred S.B. No. 2801, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to enhance the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations' ability to enforce the State's labor laws. Specifically, this measure:
(1) Creates the Labor Law Enforcement Special Fund to finance the collection of penalties and fees for violations of labor law;
(2) Establishes two positions (an attorney and a legal assistant) in the Department of the Attorney General to represent the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations in collecting penalties for violations of law; and
(3) Appropriates funds to effectuate the purposes of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2801, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2801, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
AARON LING JOHANSON, Chair