STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2717
RE: S.B. No. 2572
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2572, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to promote the cultivation of food and non-food alternative products in Hawaii.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Agriculture to conduct import substitution projects to encourage Hawaii's farmers and growers to identify and grow food and non-food alternative products to phase out imports of high-risk pathway food and commodities by 2027, and appropriates moneys for these projects; and
(2) Appropriates moneys for the Department of Agriculture to produce outreach materials to encourage Hawaii's residents to buy local products and to protect Hawaii's agriculture, environment, and lifestyle.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Agriculture; the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation; Hoomana Pono, LLC; Ulupono Initiative; the OCC Legislative Priorities Committee of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; and three concerned individuals.
Your Committee finds that promoting the cultivation of food and non-food alternatives in Hawaii through import substitution projects and public outreach will help to expand Hawaii's agricultural industry and increase sustainability and self-sufficiency in Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation to the Department of Agriculture to conduct import substitution projects from $250,000 to an unspecified amount;
(2) Changing the appropriation to the Department of Agriculture to produce outreach materials from $150,000 to an unspecified amount; and
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2572, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2572, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair