STAND. COM. REP. NO. 716-18
RE: H.B. No. 2560
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred H.B. No. 2560, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO A SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the State Sustainability Coordinator to develop a sustainable economic development strategy using genuine progress indicators to generate recommendations that promote indigenous-based economies, economic diversity, and sustainability and report to the Legislature;
(2) Require the University of Hawaii to provide data mining services to the State Sustainability Coordinator for the development of the sustainable economic development strategy; and
(3) Appropriate funds for the development of a sustainable economic development strategy.
The Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, Office of Planning, University of Hawai‘i, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and an individual supported this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the date the State Sustainability Coordinator must report to the Legislature to no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2020; and
(2) Changing its effective date to January 28, 2045, to encourage further discussion.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate on this measure further, your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection respectfully requests that it consider appropriating $600,000 for the development of the sustainable economic development strategy.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2560, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2560, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
CHRIS LEE, Chair