STAND. COM. REP. NO. 622-18
RE: H.B. No. 2501
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2501 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII COMMUNITY COLLEGE PROMISE PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Codifying the Hawaii Community College Promise Program to provide scholarships for the unmet direct cost needs of qualified students enrolled at any community college campus of the University of Hawaii; and
(2) Appropriating funds for the Program.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the additional requirements and conditions specific to the Hawaii Community College Promise Program that a student must meet to maintain a scholarship and instead following the federal requirements established pursuant to Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2112, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee respectfully requests that your Committee on Finance, should it hear this measure, consider appropriating $1,000,000 for the Hawaii Community College Promise Program.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2501, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2501, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair