STAND. COM. REP. NO. 687-18
RE: H.B. No. 2352
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2352 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII TEACHER STANDARDS BOARD,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Increasing membership on the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board to include a member of the Native Hawaiian Education Council and a non-voting public university student teacher; and
(2) Codifying current DOE Policy that a permit issued by the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board is required for non-licensed teachers serving in public schools.
The Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Hawai‘i Teacher Standards Board, Native Hawaiian Education Council, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Kamehameha Schools, and several individuals supported this measure. The Department of Education and University of Hawaii offered comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying language regarding permit renewals and restoration of permits for teachers who are in the process of qualifying for a license;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2352, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2352, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair