STAND. COM. REP. NO. 229-18
RE: H.B. No. 2126
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health & Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 2126 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH INSURANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Extending dependent coverage for adult children until the children turn twenty six years of age;
(2) Prohibiting health insurance entities from imposing a preexisting condition exclusion; and
(3) Prohibiting health insurance entities from using an individual's gender to determine premiums and contributions.
The Insurance Division of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Hawaii Maternal and Infant Health Collaborative, a Councilmember of the Maui County Council, Hawaii Medical Association, Healthcare Association of Hawaii, Kaiser Permanente Hawai‘i, The Queen's Health Systems, The Sex Abuse Treatment Center, Hawaii Medical Service Association, Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest and Hawaii, IMUAlliance, Hawai‘i Section of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Special Education Advisory Council, American Association of University Women, Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice, Hawaii Children's Action Network, Breastfeeding Hawaii, Hawaii Women's Coalition, Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies, and several individuals testified in support. Hawai‘i Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund staff provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the provisions extending dependent coverage for adult children until the children turn twenty six years of age; and
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 3000, to promote further discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health & Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2126, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2126, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health & Human Services,
JOHN M. MIZUNO, Chair