STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3626
RE: H.B. No. 2025
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2025, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO RESOURCE RECOVERY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to promote sustainability in public schools.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Authorizes the Department of Education to issue grants to establish a composting grant pilot project in Department of Education schools;
(2) Authorizes the Department of Education to establish the composting grant pilot project working group; and
(3) Appropriates funds to establish and implement the composting grant pilot project.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Education, Ulupono Initiative, Kainalu Elementary, Windward Zero Waste Schools, Kaohao School, Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawai`i, and six individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Agriculture.
Your Committee finds that the composting grant pilot project authorized by this measure will reduce food waste in public schools while teaching students about waste diversion and agricultural science concepts.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the Department of Education shall invite a representative of its Office of School Facilities and Support Services, rather than its Facilities Branch, to join the composting grant pilot project working group; and
(2) Making a technical nonsubstantive change for the purpose of style.
Should this measure go to Conference, your Committee respectfully requests that the Conference Committee determine an appropriate sunset date for the composting grant pilot program and composting grant pilot project working group.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2025, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2025, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair