STAND. COM. REP. NO. 657-18
RE: H.B. No. 1949
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2018
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Intrastate Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 1949, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize a naturopathic physician to prescribe testosterone consistent with naturopathic medical practice;
(2) Clarify that narcotic drugs shall not be included within the naturopathic formulary; and
(3) Authorize the Board of Naturopathic Medicine to discipline a naturopathic physician for violation of the Controlled Substances Act.
The Board of Naturopathic Medicine, Hawaii Society of Naturopathic Physicians, Steelsmith Natural Health Center, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. Hawaii Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, and Hawaii Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons opposed this measure. Hawaii Medical Service Association provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the naturopathic formulary shall not include narcotic drugs or controlled substances; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Intrastate Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1949, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committees on Consumer Protection & Commerce and Judiciary in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1949, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Intrastate Commerce,
TAKASHI OHNO, Chair