HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-NINTH LEGISLATURE, 2017
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO EDUCATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 302A-706, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending its title and subsection (a) to read as follows:
Teacher national board]
National certification incentive program. (a) There is established
within the department the [ teacher] national [ board] certification
incentive program to recognize and support exemplary [ teaching] educational
practice by supporting public school teachers and school psychologists
who have achieved national [ board] certification under the certification
program of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards[ .] or
the National Association of School Psychologists. The [ teacher]
national [ board] certification incentive program shall provide:
(1) A $5,000 bonus per year for each public school
teacher or school psychologist who maintains current national [
(2) Up to $1,500, depending on the
certification fee structure, upon completing all components of the
certification program of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards[
or National Association of School Psychologists;
(3) A reimbursement of the remainder of the national [
certification application fee upon achievement of national [ board]
certification; [ and]
(4) An additional $5,000 bonus per year for each
public school teacher or school psychologist who maintains current
board] certification and who [ teaches] is employed
(A) A school in a focus, priority, or superintendent's zone, or other similar designation, as determined by the department;
(B) A school with a high turnover rate, as determined by the department; or
(C) A hard-to-fill school, as determined by
(5) An additional $ bonus per year for any teacher or school psychologist or employed at a public school who received a yearly bonus pursuant to paragraph (4); provided that the teacher or school psychologist maintains national certification and continues working in the same school after the school transitions from the qualifying designation pursuant to paragraph (4); provided that the teacher or school psychologist shall receive the additional bonus from the time the school no longer meets any of the criteria under paragraph (4) until the end date of the teacher or school psychologist's national certification in effect at the time the school lost its designation, or until the teacher or school psychologist is no longer employed at the school, whichever occurs first."
SECTION 2. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2051.
Education; National Certification Incentive Program
Expands the National Certification Incentive Program to provide monetary incentives to school psychologists. Authorizes continuing bonuses for teachers and school psychologists in certain designated schools that improve and no longer carry a certain designation. Effective 7/1/2051. (SD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.