STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1735
RE: S.B. No. 909
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 909, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENERGY ASSURANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Provides policy guidance on preparing for, responding to, recovering from, and mitigating against any actual or potential energy supply disruption or shortage to preserve the State's energy security, and provides protections for confidential information collected to effectuate these purposes;
(2) Clarifies the powers of the Governor and the Director of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism in an energy shortage or state of emergency; and
(3) Clarifies the handling of confidential information and data between departments and agencies.
The Department of Accounting and General Services, Department of Transportation, Department of Health, Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, Department of Emergency Management of the City and County of Honolulu, Kaua‘i Emergency Management Agency, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hawaii Energy Policy Forum, and The Maritime Group, LLC supported this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 909, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 909, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair