STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1339
RE: S.B. No. 909
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection, to which was referred S.B. No. 909, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENERGY ASSURANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Provides policy guidance on preparing for, responding to, recovering from, and mitigating against any actual or potential energy supply disruption or shortage to preserve the State's energy security, and provides protections for confidential information collected to effectuate these purposes; and
(2) Clarifies the powers of the Governor and the Director of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism in an energy shortage or state of emergency.
The Department of Health, Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, Department of Accounting and General Services, Hawaii State Fusion Center, Department of Transportation, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Emergency Management of the City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii Energy Policy Forum, and two individuals supported this measure. The Blue Planet Foundation supported the intent of this measure. The Hawaii Petroleum Marketers Association provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending the confidential information provision to provide concise guidelines the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism (Department) must follow when handling information and data pursuant to this measure;
(2) Adding a new section that provides that any confidential information obtained by another state agency shall be available only to the Attorney General, the Attorney General's authorized representatives, the Department, and the Public Utilities Commission and shall be treated in a confidential manner; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 909, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 909, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy & Environmental Protection,
CHRIS LEE, Chair