STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1668
RE: S.B. No. 900
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 900, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII COMMUNITY-BASED ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to support and improve the Hawaii Community-based Economic Development Technical and Financial Assistance Program (Program) that assists in the establishment and development of community-based enterprises in the State by:
(1) Deleting the requirement that a "community-based organization" must be membership-based;
(2) Reducing the membership of the Community-based Economic Development Advisory Council to 10 members from 12 members;
(3) Allowing grants to be made for the provision of technical assistance to community-based organizations;
(4) Deleting the requirement that an applicant for a grant must show that the grant is consistent with the purposes of the Program for a continuous period of at least five years; and
(5) Clarifying that the applicant for a grant shall comply with all state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination, which includes, among other things, discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 900, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair