STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1736
RE: S.B. No. 559
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 559, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CLIMATE CHANGE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the State to expand strategies and mechanisms to reduce greenhouse gas emissions statewide in alignment with the principles and goals adopted in 2015 at the 21st Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change that addresses greenhouse gas emission, adaptation, and finance, known as the Paris Agreement;
(2) Renaming the Interagency Climate Adaptation Committee as the Hawaii Climate Commission and clarifying the duties of the Commission;
(3) Appropriating funds to the Department of Accounting and General Services for the purposes of carrying out this measure; and
(4) Appropriating funds for the establishment of one full-time equivalent (1.00 FTE) climate mitigation and adaptation coordinator position in the Department of Land and Natural Resources to support the Hawaii Climate Commission.
The Conservation Council for Hawai‘i, Sierra Club of Hawai‘i, Healthy Climate Communities, Hawai‘i Green Growth, The Nature Conservancy, The Maritime Group, LLC, and many individuals supported this measure. Two individuals opposed this measure. The Office of Planning, Department of Accounting and General Services, and Department of Land and Natural Resources provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Repealing the Hawaii Climate Adaptation Initiative and Hawaii Climate Commission codified under Chapter 225P, Hawaii Revised Statutes, on July 1, 2022; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 559, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 559, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair