STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1340
RE: S.B. No. 559
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water & Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 559, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CLIMATE CHANGE,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to ensure statewide support for Hawaii's green initiatives and to further the State's commitment to combat climate change by systematically reducing and mitigating greenhouse gas emissions by enacting principles that mirror certain provisions adopted in 2015 at the 21st Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in an agreement addressing greenhouse gas emission, adaptation, and finance, known as the Paris Agreement.
The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Conservation Council for Hawaii, Blue Planet Foundation, The Maritime Group, LLC, Hawaii Green Growth, The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii, Sierra Club of Hawaii, and many individuals supported this measure. The Office of Planning and Department of Accounting and General Services supported the intent of this measure. Two individuals opposed this measure. One individual provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the provisions that enact certain provisions of the Paris Agreement as Hawaii state law;
(2) Requiring the State to expand strategies and mechanisms to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions statewide through the reduction of energy use, adoption of renewable energy, and control of air pollution by all agencies, departments, industries, and sectors, including transportation, in alignment with the principles and goals adopted in the Paris Agreement, with priority given to the development of parks, greenways, and restoration of native upland and coastal forests and wetlands;
(3) Inserting a new part, which:
(A) Changes the title of chapter 225P, Hawaii Revised Statutes, from "Climate Adaptation" to "Hawaii Climate Adaptation Initiative"
(B) Changes the name of the Interagency Climate Adaptation Committee to the Hawaii Climate Commission (Commission); and
(C) Clarifies the duties and reporting requirements of the Commission;
(4) Clarifying the purpose of the appropriation to the Department of Accounting and General Services;
(5) Additionally, appropriating an unspecified amount of funds for the establishment of one full-time equivalent (1.00 FTE) climate mitigation and adaptation coordinator position to support the Commission; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water & Land that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 559, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 559, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water & Land,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair
CHRIS LEE, Chair