STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1364
RE: S.B. No. 221
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred S.B. No. 221, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HIGHWAY SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish a Photo Red Light Imaging Detector Systems Program (Program) to improve enforcement of traffic signal laws;
(2) Authorize counties to implement the Program;
(3) Require the deposit of fines collected by a county under the Program into a special account within the general fund, to be used in the county in which the fine was collected for the establishment, operation, management, and maintenance of a photo red light imaging detector system;
(4) Require the Department of Transportation to establish a Red Light Running Committee to review this measure and submit to the Legislature its findings and recommendations, and any proposed legislation or amendments to this measure, no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the 2018 Regular Session; and
(5) Appropriating funds for the establishment of the Program.
The Department of Transportation, Office of the Mayor of the County of Hawaii, Honolulu Police Department, American Automobile Association Hawaii, Hawaii Bicycling League, Mothers Against Drunk Driving Hawaii, and many individuals supported this measure. The Maui Metropolitan Planning Organization supported the intent of this measure. The Office of the Public Defender, Ho‘omana Pono, LLC., and an individual opposed this measure. The Judiciary, Department of Budget and Finance, Department of Accounting and General Services, and an individual provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Including the Deputy Chief Court Administrator for the District Court of the First Circuit and the State Public Defender, or their designees, in the Red Light Running Committee;
(2) Requiring each county to pay vendors installing a photo red light imaging detector system a negotiated lump sum regardless of the number of citations issued or expected to be issued through the use of the red light imaging detector system;
(3) Changing the special account within the general fund into a Photo Red Light Imaging Detector Systems Program Special Fund, to be administered by the Department of Transportation;
(4) Changing the fines for violation of certain provisions of the Statewide Traffic Code to unspecified amounts;
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, and making the provisions establishing the Red Light Running Committee effective July 1, 2049, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 221, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 221, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair