STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1756
RE: S.B. No. 1286
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 1286, S.D. 2, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PRIVATE TRADE, VOCATIONAL, AND TECHNICAL SCHOOLS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Clarify the scope of the Private Trade, Vocational, and Technical School Licensure Program within the Department of Education;
(2) Establish a licensing fee to ensure the sustainability of the licensure program;
(3) Establish a license renewal process, including a renewal licensure fee;
(4) Create the Private Trade, Vocational, and Technical School Licensure Special Fund; and
(5) Appropriate funds for administrative costs of the licensure program, including one full-time equivalent position within the Department of Education.
The Maui Academy of Healing Arts, Pacific Center for Awareness and Bodywork, Maui School of Therapeutic Massage, and numerous individuals testified in opposition to this measure. The Department of Education, Department of Budget and Finance, Hawaii Institute of Hair Design, and Maritime License Center commented on this measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1286, S.D. 2, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair