STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1469
RE: H.B. No. 599
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 599, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII STATE PLAN,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to update the Hawaii State Planning Act.
More specifically, this measure amends the Hawaii State Planning Act by:
(1) Prioritizing affordable rental and for sale housing opportunities available to extremely low-, very low-, lower-, moderate, and above moderate-income residents;
(2) Requiring each state agency to periodically update the functional plan for the functional area for which it is responsible;
(3) Requiring a lead state agency, with the concurrence of the Governor, to establish the advisory committee for each functional plan, and making the committee a temporary advisory body; and
(4) Amending the functional plan advisory committee nomination process.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of Planning.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Office of Hawaiian Affairs and the Land Use Research Foundation of Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that housing is considered "affordable" when a household spends less than thirty percent of its income on shelter and utilities. Housing costs in Hawaii are among the highest in the nation, and residents, especially low income residents, face a challenge in establishing and remaining in affordable housing. Your Committee believes that the State should continue to focus its efforts on developing, promoting, and stimulating the affordable housing market.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Making the measure effective upon its approval; and
(2) Making a technical nonsubstantive amendment for the purposes of consistency and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 599, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 599, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair