STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1474
RE: H.B. No. 588
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 588, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING AN APPROPRIATION FOR HEEIA NATIONAL ESTUARINE RESEARCH RESERVE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to support the Heeia estuary in its designation as a National Estuarine Research Reserve.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Appropriates $400,000 from an unspecified special fund for the initial funding of four full-time equivalent positions within the University of Hawaii to develop and manage the Heeia Reserve and its programs; and
(2) Authorizes the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Attorney General, and Auditor to review and inspect various records of contractors and third parties who receive funds appropriated by the measure.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources; Hawaii Community Development Authority; Office of Planning; University of Hawaii; The Nature Conservancy; Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaiian Affairs Caucus; Koolaupoko Hawaiian Civic Club; Koolau Foundation; Kamehameha Schools; and twelve individuals.
Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology and three individuals.
Your Committee finds that the National Estuarine Research Reserve System partners with states and territories to ensure long-term education, stewardship, and research regarding estuarine habitats. In January 2017, Heeia estuary was designated as the 29th National Estuarine Research Reserve. Your Committee further finds an appropriation of funds for positions to develop and manage Heeia Reserve and its programs will generate scientific information necessary for policy decision-making and increase support for research, education, and restoration in the region.
Your Committee has included a $240,800 general fund appropriation for 2.64 full-time equivalent permanent positions in both fiscal years of the biennium for Heeia Reserve within the Senate's version of the General Appropriations Act of 2017, H.B. No. 100, H.D. 1, S.D. 1.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the means of financing from an unspecified special fund to the general revenues of the State of Hawaii;
(2) Changing the appropriation from $400,000 to an unspecified amount;
(3) Changing the number of positions established from 4.00 FTE to an unspecified number;
(4) Deleting language specifically describing the positions to be established; and
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 588, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 588, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair