STAND. COM. REP. NO. 239
RE: H.B. No. 571
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 571 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Develop a communication strategy and outreach plan for emergency management and disaster preparedness;
(2) Update and reprint the Homeowner's Handbook to Prepare for Natural Hazards, 4th Ed.; and
(3) Conduct a systematic and targeted education and outreach initiative for statewide emergency management and disaster preparedness.
The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency, Department of Emergency Management of the City and County of Honolulu, and two concerned individuals supported this bill. The University of Hawaii Sea Grant College Program supported the intent of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for consistency, clarity, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 571, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 571, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
JUSTIN H. WOODSON, Chair