STAND. COM. REP. NO. 514
RE: H.B. No. 561
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 561 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DENTISTRY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring all dentists to display contact information for verification of the dentist's licensure status and standing with the regulatory agency; and
(2) Requiring inspections of a dentist's facilities, equipment, and staffing as a condition of licensure to administer anesthesia or sedation.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from an individual. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from an individual. The Regulated Industries Complaints Office of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Board of Dental Examiners, and Hawaii Dental Association submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Limiting the requirement to display contact information for verification of licensure status and standing to dentists who administer anesthesia or perform sedation;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2090, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for the purpose of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 561, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 561, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DELLA AU BELATTI, Chair