STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1008
RE: H.B. No. 1580
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1580, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENERGY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) The Clean Energy Initiative Program (Program) to design, implement, and administer a plan, to be implemented between 2017 and 2025, to achieve a reduction of five percent in fossil fuel consumption for ground transportation relative to 2016 levels;
(2) The Department of Transportation, in collaboration with the State Energy Office, to identify a plan to make progress toward 100 percent clean ground transportation goals identified by the Program's plan; and
(3) The planning for the State's facility systems with regard to transportation and energy to be directed to achieve increased energy security and self-sufficiency through the reduction and ultimate elimination of imported fuels for ground transportation.
The Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, Americans for Democratic Action, Ulupono Initiative, Sierra Club of Hawaii, Young Progressives Demanding Action of Hawaii, and numerous individuals supported this measure. The Department of Transportation, Blue Planet Foundation, Hawaiian Electric Company and its subsidiary utilities, Maui Electric Company and Hawaii Electric Light Company, Healthy Climate Communities, Hawaii Petroleum Marketers Association, and numerous individuals provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1580, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1580, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair