STAND. COM. REP. NO. 363
RE: H.B. No. 1578
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 1578 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CLIMATE CHANGE,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to establish and appropriate funds for a Carbon Farming Task Force (Task Force), to identify agricultural and aquacultural activities and best practices that provide emissions source reduction or carbon sequestration benefits.
The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Hawaii Alliance for Progressive Action, Earth As One, Hawaii Center for Food Safety, Surfrider Foundation's Oahu Chapter, GMO Free Maui, GMO Free Kaua‘i, We Are One, Inc., Sierra Club of Hawaii, and numerous individuals supported this measure. The Office of Planning supported the intent of this measure. The Office of Environmental Control provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying the scope of the Task Force's duties;
(2) Adding the Director of the Office of Environmental Quality Control or the Director's designee to the Task Force's membership;
(3) Allowing the Task Force's members to recommend additional individuals with the appropriate specialized expertise to the Task Force;
(4) Inserting an unspecified appropriation amount;
(5) Changing its effective date to January 28, 2081, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate this measure further, your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Agriculture respectfully request that it consider appropriating $50,000 for the Carbon Farming Task Force.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Agriculture that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1578, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1578, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Agriculture,
RICHARD P. CREAGAN, Chair
CHRIS LEE, Chair