STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1080
RE: H.B. No. 1457
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1457, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AQUATIC LIFE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the Division of Aquatic Resources of the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to promote education about nearshore reef wildlife and develop a comprehensive plan, programs, and policies for the sustainable management of nearshore reef wildlife; and
(2) Place a temporary moratorium on the issuance of new aquarium fish permits until the DLNR completes the comprehensive plan.
The Environmental Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Conservation Council for Hawaii; Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Association; Hanalei Watershed Hui; Kihei Community Association; Snorkel Bob's Hawaii; For the Fishes; and numerous concerned individuals supported this measure. Maui Mariculture; Hawaiian Tropical Fish Exporters; Salty Waters LLC; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council; and numerous concerned individuals opposed this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources and numerous concerned individuals provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that all existing aquarium fish permits may continue to be renewed by the DLNR;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1457, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1457, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair