STAND. COM. REP. NO. 551
RE: H.B. No. 1245
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Ninth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2017
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 1245, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CEMETERIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to implement a long-term solution for Sunset Memorial Park in Pearl City, Oahu.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Director of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (Director), in consultation with the Comptroller, to develop strategies for the upkeep, repair, and maintenance of Sunset Memorial Park;
(2) Authorizes the Director to access the Sunset Memorial Trust Fund to pay for the repair and maintenance of the cemetery; and
(3) Limits liability for persons maintaining or repairing cemetery grounds.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that an individual who volunteers to maintain or repair cemetery grounds must first obtain written approval from the cemetery owner or cemetery authority;
(2) Clarifying that individuals who volunteer are eligible to receive reimbursements for certain expenses; and
(3) Changing its effective date to upon its approval.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1245, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1245, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair