HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-EIGHTH LEGISLATURE, 2016
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO EDUCATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 302A-706, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended as follows:
1. By amending its title to read:
Teacher national] National
board certification incentive program."
2. By amending subsection (a) to read:
"(a) There is established within the
department the [
teacher] national board certification incentive program
to recognize and support exemplary [ teaching] educational
practice by supporting public school teachers and school psychologists
who have achieved national board certification under the certification program
of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards[ .] or
National Association of School Psychologists. The [ teacher]
national board certification incentive program shall provide:
(1) A $5,000 bonus per year for each public school teacher or school psychologist who maintains current national board certification;
(2) $1,500 upon completing all components of the certification program of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards;
(3) A reimbursement of the remainder of the national
board certification application fee upon achievement of national board
(4) An additional $5,000 bonus per year for each
public school teacher or school psychologist who maintains current
national board certification and who [
teaches] is employed at:
(A) A school in a focus, priority, or superintendent's zone, or other similar designation, as determined by the department;
(B) A school with a high turnover rate, as determined by the department; or
(C) A hard-to-fill school, as determined by
(5) An additional $ bonus per year for any school psychologist employed at a public school who received a yearly bonus pursuant to paragraph (4); provided that the school psychologist maintains national board certification and continues working in the same school after the school transitions from the qualifying designation pursuant to paragraph (4). The school psychologist shall receive the additional bonus from the time the school no longer meets any of the criteria under paragraph (4) until the end date of the school psychologist's national board certification in effect at the time the school lost its designation, or until the school psychologist is no longer employed at the school, whichever occurs first."
SECTION 2. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
Education; National Board Certification Incentive Program
Expands the National Board Certification Incentive Program to provide monetary incentives to school psychologists. Authorizes continuing bonuses for school psychologists in certain designated schools that improve and no longer carry a certain designation. Effective July 1, 2050. (SD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.