STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1692-16
RE: S.B. No. 2675
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 2675, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO LICENSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorize the Board of Dental Examiners, Hawaii Medical Board, and Board of Pharmacy to deny a license to an applicant who has been disciplined by another state or federal agency, and the Board of Nursing to deny a license to an applicant who has been disciplined by another state;
(2) Authorize the Board of Dental Examiners, Hawaii Medical Board, Board of Nursing, and Board of Pharmacy to impose the same disciplinary action upon a licensee as that taken by another state or federal agency, subject to notice and administrative hearing requirements;
(3) Prohibit a licensee from practicing in the State until a final order by the respective board is issued, if the licensee has been prohibited from practicing in another state; and
(4) Require any final order of discipline to be public record.
The Hawaii Medical Board, Hawaii Medical Association, and Hawaii Dental Association testified in support of this measure. The Regulated Industries Complaints Office of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the regulatory boards are not limited to imposing the same disciplinary action on licensees as was imposed by other states or federal agencies;
(2) Making this measure take effect on its approval; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2675, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2675, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair