STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1292-16
RE: S.B. No. 2557
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 2557, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CONCUSSIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Expand the concussion educational program established by Act 197, Session Laws of Hawaii 2012, to include youth athletic activities for participants aged 11 to 18, and incorporate additional concussion protocol and program requirements;
(2) Appropriate funds for the development and implementation of the concussion monitoring and educational program for school athletics and youth athletic activities and concussion testing of high school students; and
(3) Appropriate funds for implementing a concussion awareness and management program for students who are aged 11 to 13.
The University of Hawaii at Manoa College of Education, Hawaii High School Athletic Association, Hawaii Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association, and Hawaii Athletic Trainers' Association supported this measure with amendments. The Department of Health and Department of Education commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Limiting the scope of the concussion monitoring and educational program to school athletics and not to youth athletic activities;
(2) Specifying that the concussion monitoring and education program for school athletics include cognitive testing of student participants prior to the start of each season of school athletics but not a youth athletic activity;
(3) Clarifying that the appropriation for the implementation of a concussion awareness program is for Hawaii public school students aged 11 to 13;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2112, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2557, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2557, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DELLA AU BELATTI, Chair